Mastodon

Tuesday 10 June 2014

A New Week Begins

...in which we have bees in the roof

A couple of weeks ago some honey bees (I say "some", but actually it's a swarm about 300 strong*) decided to settle on our roof. Bees are kind of important to the environment and stuff, and they're not particularly demanding house guests, so we're trying to avoid killing them, but the Elder Teen objects to the fact that he can't open his window as they're right outside there and when it's sunny there are hundreds of them flying around, which is a kind of scary sight.

*I haven't counted them or anything. It just looks like I'd imagine a swarm with 300 bees in it to look.

We had a couple of bee keepers round when the swarm first arrived, but they took one look and went "nope, not going up a ladder to get those". This week, they have found their way into the soffet and seem to be building a nest; apparently this will not cause any damage to the house, but obviously we would prefer it if they weren't there (I doubt they'll be letting us have any of their honey as rent).

So, today we have a man from a pest control company here trying to get rid of the bees with smoke, some "swarmattract" and a big box attached to a long ladder. Unfortunately, the bees do not seem to want to move homes, especially as it's just started throwing water out of the sky. The only other suggestion we've had (apart from killing them, which we'd prefer to avoid) is to get a fly screen to put over the inside of the Elder Teen's bedroom window so he can open them without being attacked by bees. So if the bees don't appreciate us setting up an all expenses paid moving home type arrangement for them I guess we'll have to go with that.

Anyway, diet stuff. Today I start a new week (although officially the "new week" starts the instant I get weighed) and this week I am determined to actually lose some weight as I've had 2 half pound gains in a row (after a 4lb loss over 2 weeks, so I'm still ahead of the game). 

Since I got everything right last week /(free food, superfree food, exercise, healthy a/b) except for syns, this week I will focus on reducing my syns; it has got more difficult to lose weight as I've got closer to target, so I probably do need to be a bit more careful for a few weeks if I'm going to get there any time soon.

I will also try to set up a page specifically for each week's food diary so they're easier to see (or maybe I'll write a widget), but for now I'll just put it on each page as per last week because I have work to do.

Tuesday, 10th June

Healthy A: 250 ml semi-skimmed milk.

Breakfast

Pear, grapes, strawberries (see? sometimes I have different fruit).

Lunch

Batchelor's super rice
(Most savoury rice of is 1.5 syns per packet, but all flavours of Batchelor's are free).

Dinner

SW style chicken nuggets from the Fakeaways book (recipe here for Slimming World members), with jacket wedges, sweetcorn, green beans and broccoli.

(using the wholemeal roll as a healthy b - the recipe says there's 1.5 syns per portion, but I assume that using the roll for breadcrumbs means they're effectively free as long as you don't eat more than 4 portions to yourself, as the other ingredients are all free).

Snacks

Fruit, pickled onions, Jacob's Crinklys (6.5 syns).

Exercise

30 minutes exercise bike
30 minutes running

No comments: