Mastodon

Thursday 12 June 2014

When the going gets tough

...the tough get eating.

Yesterday was one of those "difficult" days. There are days when it seems like it doesn't matter how much I eat I don't feel full. The pre-Slimming World version of me would have filled up on crisps (I could easily eat a bag of 12 packs of crisps to myself), but that's not really an option if I want to lose weight.

So, what to do when you want a lot of food but you don't want to put weight on? This is one of the biggest advantages I've found with Slimming World; there's always something you can eat, as long as you have "free" food in the house. This is what I ate yesterday, apart from my actual meals (members of other diet organisations cover your eyes now):

1/2 a jar of pickled onions
3 apples
2 pears
2/3rds of a punnet of strawberries
1/2 a punnet of grapes
120g couscous with crushed chillies

That's all "free" or "superfree" on slimming world; I can eat as much as I want of it, and I don't have to feel guilty or count points or worry about it. Fortunately after the couscous my appetite subsided somewhat as otherwise I'd have been heading to the shop for more fruit..

Obviously it takes an effort of willpower not to reach for the crisps/chocolate/whatever and go for fruit instead, but I've found that this has got easier with time (although there are times when nothing but a packet of crisps will do, and that's OK - I can have a packet of crisps and stay inside my syns limit).

It's fair to say that yesterday's experiment with fish did not go as well as hoped. The fish was OK-ish, edible at least, but despite the fact it was filleted it still had an awful lot of bones in it, and it didn't taste great although that may have been my cooking. The general consensus is that I won't be making that again.

Yesterday was a rest day from exercise and today my legs feel properly recovered, so I shall be running this evening.

Thursday 12th June


Healthy extra A: 250 ml semi-skimmed milk

Breakfast

Bacon, lettuce & tomato on a wholemeal roll (healthy extra B)


Lunch

Mushroom omelette with Jacket wedges & trimmed green beans.


Dinner

Chilli with boiled rice & green beans (2 syns because it was made with 10% fat mince).

Snacks/Drinks

Coffee, fruit (strawberries, nectarines), Jacob's Crinklys (6.5 syns)


Exercise

30 minute run
30 minutes on exercise bike

No comments: