Mastodon

Saturday 12 July 2014

A new guitar!

...in which a new musical instrument has been "accidentally" purchased.


Today it was the first day of the Oswestry food festival, which I thought would be a hotbed of temptation to go well beyond my normal syns allowance. I had therefore avoided syns all week, but when I came to it I found that it was quite possible to eat lots of yummy stuff without going beyond my syns allowance:

Chicken tikka with salad and pilau rice (1.5 syns for the rice; tikka/salad should be free as it's just grilled chicken with spices, but the Slimming World app only has Tikka Masala which is not the same and not as low-syn as it has sauce)

Venison burger (grilled) with fried onions on a wholemeal roll (2 syns for fried onions, wholemeal roll as healthy b)

Ice-cream cone (2 scoops of rum & raisin, 14 syns, plus cone, 2 syns)

50g fudge (11 syns)

So, that's errr....(clicking of calculator keys despite the maths degree)....30.5 syns

And then tonight I had 750 ml of red wine (27 syns) so that's 57.5 syns, which is considerably less than I had last week at the stag night. Oh, and about 8 syns' worth of rosé last night, so that's a grand total of 65.5 syns. But I'll probably "have to" drink another glass because A. never drinks a full bottle, so call that a 250 ml of rose and that's 74.5 syns. Which I can live with.

At some point today I decided that I needed a new electro-acoustic guitar (although actually I decided this several months ago). I went to the local music shop and they happened to have a rather nice electro-acoustic in, which was reduced from £170 to £110 because it had been dropped at some point and there was a bit of a crack in the lacquer. 

I tried it out and it sounded fine, and was certainly a lot easier to play than my current guitar (which is OK, but very difficult to play barre chords on due to a high action - if you don't know about guitars, the action is how high the strings are above the 12th fret. If the action is high then it's harder to fret the strings; the one I had was fine for open chords but difficult to play barre chords (where you fret several strings at once with the same finger)).

I may post a video of me trying the new guitar out tomorrow, although that might be the wine talking.

The wine has probably got to me so I shall just list what I've eaten today now...

Saturday 12th July

Healthy A: Milk

Breakfast

Fruit (nectarine, apple, satsuma).


Lunch

Err...yeah. Chicken tikka with pilau rice and salad, venison burger with fried onions on a wholemeal roll (see above for presumed syn values).

Dinner

Diet cola chicken

Snacks/Drinks

Fruit, yoghurt, coffee, ice cream, fudge (see above for syns)

Exercise

30 minutes brisk walk.

No comments: